The following is a quick list of things to consider. Please review it and add your own items to your checklist depending on your needs.
Sun-block cream, minimum 35 SPF is required depending on your skin condition.
Bring along a wide-brim hat to give you additional protection.
Bring along a snack pack and food for a day.
Bring along water and fluids to keep you hydrated.
The chances are you will get dirty, make sure you dress appropriately.
Bring along containers to place the produce in.
If you have allergies, bring along proper medication.
If you have asthma, make sure you bring your puffer in case you have an attack.
Take any medication that you might need.
Bring along your camera.
Pre-Harvest Checklist for Pick-Your-Own Farms David
Handley, Univ. of Maine
Itís that time again! As harvest
approaches, make sure that your customers are going to have an enjoyable
experience. Review the checklist below to evaluate your customer readiness.
- Signs to the farm are neat and easy to read
- Easy access to the fields and plenty of parking
- Someone is ready to greet customers and
offer parking instructions and directions to the field
- Access to the field is free of hazards
- Transportation is provided for the elderly and disabled
- The rules regarding picking are clearly posted
- Someone is in the field to show customers
where to pick and to answer questions
- There are plenty of picking containers available
- Clean restroom facilities are available
- Someone is available to help customers carry
fruit out of the field
- The checkouts are fast and efficient
- Beverages are available
- Shade and seats are available for customers
wanting to rest
- The help are friendly and knowledgeable
Your clean, neat and friendly
atmosphere will leave a lasting impression on your customers, encouraging
them to come back and to recommend your farm to their friends.